Thursday, March 3, 2016

Week 7 Storytelling: The Demon's Deal


"The Demon's Deal"

I have a boyfriend named Dorian. Well, or at least that's what everyone thinks. There are times that I even convince myself of that truth.

But the truth is that I made Dorian up. One day I drew what the perfect boyfriend would look like, and then I started writing letters to myself from him, and then I wrote letters back to him. The letters were sent and received in a shoebox.

So, when people at school asked me, whenever my family asked me, I told them, "Yes, I have a boyfriend. His name is Dorian!"

I had a story for how we met, how our first kiss went, and even bought presents for me that "he got me."

The problem started whenever people wanted to meet him.

After excuse after excuse I feared that everyone could see through my thin veil of a lie. I desperately did everything I could think of: wishing on shooting stars and 11:11. I hoped fortune cookies wielded good fortune.

I prayed to God, Buddha, anyone who was listening, but nothing worked.

It wasn't even about making him seem alive anymore, no, I wanted Dorian to be alive.

Finally, I turned to the darkness.

It the angels wouldn't help me, perhaps the demons would.

I looked online for a wishing spell. I wrote my fake boyfriend's name on the paper, along with his qualities: black hair, brown eyes, pale skin, freckles, he's sweet, he's thoughtful, but he's confident, he's charismatic.

I burned the paper in the flame of a candle, and whispered, "Dorian. I wish you were real."

Suddenly the flames grew as tall as a person, and in it's place was the boy I had just described.

Dorian scratched the back of his head, and sheepishly grinned. "Hey, Bridget."

"Dorian!" I cried and ran to him, wrapping my arms around him.

He kissed the top of my head, and embraced me. "I'm here."

"Stay here with me, please," I begged.

"What would you give for me?" He asked and suddenly his teeth were fangs, and I felt claws around my body. His hair was no longer black, but snow-white, and his eyes were bright red.


I tried to wriggle out of his grasp, but his arms were like iron chains. "Who are you?"

"Some call me Belial, but I am whoever you want me to be," he said and suddenly he turned back into Dorian. "But, for a price."

"What is the price?" I asked.

"Your soul," he said with a wicked grin.

I laughed. He was joking right? This was all some sick joke.

"It's no joke," he said, and smirked. "I will be your Dorian for seven years, after which your soul will be mine."

"Yours for what?"

"For the taking, but thats shouldn't matter, no? Isn't your Dorian more important?" He smiled softly smiled and released me from his embrace.

I was sixteen years old, so I'd be twenty-three when my soul was gone. I didn't even know what I was doing after all that time. I had no plans of college. Besides, maybe I could trick him. Or maybe he was lying.

"Yes," I said.

"We have a deal," he said with a wolfish grin and he held his hand out. I shook his hand and it felt like fire.

For a moment he was the demon again and then he was back to Dorian. My sweet, kind, Dorian, and boyfriend for seven years.

After which, I had no idea what would happen.

***

When he said he'd take my soul, I didn't know it would be like this. I was twisted into someone hint perverted, and something evil.

I became a demon, much like Belial, the demon I made the deal with.

My home was Hell, literally, and I was to spend the eternity making deals with foolish humans. The business in Hell was souls, and I was no longer the customer, I was the sleazy saleswoman.

Author's Note.
This week, I read "Sri Krishna of Dwarka and Other Stories" and it mentioned demons and curses and such. So, I decided to write a story kind of based off of the Faustian myth, which is the age old tale of a deal with a demon, turning sour.

I know, I cut it close, but I was running out of words! I would have liked to see more with Dorian and Bridget, but the word count did not allow. I feel bad for Bridget's fate, but you reap what you sow, right?

4 comments:

  1. What an awesome story! Definitely a classic make a deal with the devil for your soul, but you did a great job of twisting it into your own.Your formatting was great. It made it really easy read. I will definitely take that into consideration the next time I write my stories, so thanks for the idea! I am impressed at your descriptions and detail! Great story! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lore, this was a really cool story. I was hooked from the moment I finished reading the first line. From there, it just got better and better (of course, not for Bridget). I appreciated the images you included in the story, especially the one of the demon. Did you make the image yourself or find it off the internet? If you ever get the time to extend this story, I would be excited to see what you come up with. I am curious to know what's become of Bridget and the demon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lore, Okay after reading your storytelling, I can definitely tell that you are a born writer. Without a doubt, you have a leg up on me in the area of creative writing. I want to keep reading your story! You make a “not so beautiful” idea – The Demon's Deal – into a very beautiful story. I think it is so funny that the word limit cut you off - I wish I had that problem! Haha. I really look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the middle of the story you accidently wrote “it” instead of “if”. I would consider looking back through your story for errors that I did not catch. Great story though! It would be easy to say yes to the deal with the demon like she did because the seven years feels like such a long time, but it seems like she regretted her decision whenever the time came.

    ReplyDelete