Thursday, February 18, 2016

Week 5 Storytelling: Autumn Storm

(Jobey, the main character!)

"Autumn Storm"

After my parents divorce, the library was my only solace. I couldn't be around my Dad anymore, he just reminded me of my mother who had run off with a guy half her age.

I read anything I could find in the library, until I found the author Autumn Storm, and then that become the only shelf I went to. She had a series of books called "The Darklands Chronicles", that took me to a fantasy world of the Darklands--a world that I wanted to be part of.

The land was filled with magic-users, elves, faeries, vampires, and shape-shifters.

I wasn't the only one who was a fan of hers. I mean, I didn't know any fans, but online there were many fanfictions and fanart about her series.

There was one thing I wanted to know: who she was. But, she never revealed her identity. Her name was no doubt just a penname. She didn't even allow interviews.

So, after school I went to the section of the library with all of her books.

One day as I arrived to the shelf, there was a fruity smell in the area in front of her books. The smell was across between cotton candy and raspberries, and it was intoxicating. Each day I went to her shelf at the same time, and I smelled that perfume.

It sounded crazy, but, I had to know whose perfume if was.

I knew that whoever wore that perfume, also loved Autumn Storm books. I imagined it was a beautiful brunette girl, or maybe a blonde, or maybe she had pink or purple hair!

So, I started to get there earlier, to see if I could find her, but whenever I arrived there was only the smell.

I became obsessed. I had to find her.

I had an idea in my head each time I went to the library. This day it was a meek girl with mousey  brown hair and glasses. I half-wondered if the girl was younger or older than me. I hoped she was my age, 16.

Would she like a guy like me? I hadn't cut my hair since mom left. I just stopped caring about a lot of things. Dad never did laundry, so my clothes were dirty. I didn't smell good, not like she did.

I got there earlier and earlier, and finally I skipped my last class to go to the library.

I imagined a pretty girl with black hair and red lipstick, who dressed in Gothic clothes, as I headed to the shelf with my Autumn Storm books.

When I reached the shelf, I smelled the perfume. I walked towards the Autumn Storm books, and saw a girl with her back to me and a nose in a book.

I was surprised to see someone much like what I imagined. She had long black hair, and a frilly black dress that was covered in lace.

"Hey," I said. I wasn't usually so bold, but I'd been trying to find her for weeks!

She lifted her head, and turned to me. She was Asian, and wore bright red lipstick. "What?"

Her voice was deeper than I expected, her hands were large, and her chest was flat. She may not actually be a she, but she was still beautiful to me.

"I..." I stammered.

What was I going to say? Hi, I'm Jobey, I've been looking for you for weeks.

I finally asked, "Do you like Autumn Storm?"

"Not really," she replied.

"Seriously?" I stepped back I was so shocked. "Why not?"

"It's hard to explain," she said.

I sat in front of her. "I have time."

She smiled, blush across her cheeks. "You like Autumn Storm?"

"Is that even a question." I laughed. "I've read each book like twice. Her books are amazing."

"You think so?"

"Oh yeah, and I mean when I'm not reading her books, I'm reading fanfictions, and looking at fanart," I confessed. "I guess I'm a little...obsessed."

"Obsessed, huh?"

"Yeah, so why are you sitting here, with an Autumn Storm book if you don't like her books?"

"I guess I like seeing them here," she said. "I don't know if I like them or not. It's hard to say."

"Well, you gotta start with book one," I said. "Seriously, trust me. You will love them."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah!" I said. "Here." I handed her the first book. "Seriously, read this, and then tell me you don't like her book."

"Alright," she said, smiling, and taking the book. She turned away from me, and started to read it.

I got out the book that I was re-reading, and sat next to her.

Truth be told, I had a hard time focusing on the book. I kept glancing at the girl. She really was pretty.

It was about to be closing time when she closed the book, and laid it in her lap.

"So, what do you think?" I asked.

"You're right, it is pretty good," she said.

"Pretty good? It's amazing!"

She laughed and said, "Alright, it is pretty amazing."

"I knew you'd change your mind," I said.

"Yeah, well, I have to go home," she said and stood up.

"Wait," I said, and stood up. "What's your name?"

"Autumn Storm," she said with a wide smile.

Author's Note:
To clear things up: No, the girl wasn't joking, she actually is Autumn Storm. Also, yes, she is transgender (hence why she isn't exactly a she.) But, Jobey doesn't care about that. He still likes her and thinks she's a pretty girl. I'm sure he likes her even more after that last line!

I got the story idea from section 3 of the Mahabharata (PDE). In there was a story about a man who smelled a girl's perfume, and found her, and well in love with her.

I made it a modern Young Adult story, and I thought the whole he had a favorite author and the girl with the perfume ends up being the author would be cute. I also wanted to add diversity, and so I thought of Autumn, who I think is so adorable!

If you guys really like Autumn and Jobey, I can try to make a sequel.

2 comments:

  1. Lore,
    This is a nice story! I really enjoyed reading it. The way you introduced the story and then went into the script and dialogue exchange between the characters is perfect. I find the story very precise on describing the events. The smell was across between cotton candy and raspberries! Very particular and adds life to the story. This story does end in-complete and I am wondering if they meet again? This is a great way to make your readers think about the story and make them want to read more. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lore,
    It was fun to read more of your stories this week! I'm still amazed at how you're able to take one small detail from what we're reading and expand it into a full story. Something I've noticed about your posts, though, is that there are occasional typos and overuse of commas that a little more careful proofreading would probably fix.

    I love the idea of people connecting through books and libraries like this. I wish that had happened to me in high school!

    ReplyDelete