Thursday, January 21, 2016

Indian Epics Overview

(Ganesha from Wikimedia.)

I have read some epics, such as the Odyssey, the Iliad, Beowulf, part of Paradise Lost. I also enjoy modern epics such as Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.

I took Mythology and Folklore last semester, and I feel like the types I remember the most as the Classic Mythology such as Roman and Greek. Norse Mythology also comes to mind, but that is because I research that on my own.

I took a class at the Oklahoma City Community College called "Eastern Thought." In that class we learned about Hinduisim and Buddhism. We even read a few texts, including the Ramayana, so I remember the hero Rama. I also remember him encountering some Hindu Gods. In the Eastern Thought class, we also meditated during the first ten minutes of class, which was a very enlightening experience.

My only experience with Indian Music is when my boyfriend and I drive down to and back from Dallas, Texas you can listen to an Indian Music Radio. The radio station is available between Ardmore, Oklahoma and Dallas. We like listening to it because it's so different from any music genre I listen to. They use unique instruments and usually sing in their language.

I chose the image of the God, Ganesha, because it is one of the few Hindu Gods that I am fairly familiar with. I know Ganesha brings good luck and blessings to people, especially if you give Ganesha an offering.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for including Ganesha, Lore — I think everyone loves Ganesha! And here is something for you to ponder: Ganesha is the great WRITER of the epic tradition... he is the one who actually wrote down the Mahabharata while Vyasa dictated the words. You can see a depiction of that here: Ganesha writes the Mahabharata :-)

    ReplyDelete