Sunday, January 31, 2016

Storybook Topics

Topic #1: Rakshasa (or Demons!)
(Image from: SIDwms)

I have chosen several supernatural creatures from Indian (Hindu) mythology for my Storybook ideas. But the creature that has interested me the most are the Rakshasa, which are essentially demons. I like these demons because they are a lot like vampires. They are basically a hybrid of vampires and demons. So, in my Storybook I will borrow from Hindu lore, but I'm going to give Rakshasa and Rakshasi a modern twist. I'll put them in a Young Adult concept in the modern world, similar to the Rakshasi I have created in this story.


Where? There is a lot of Rakshasa lore in the PDE of Ramayana as well as here.


Topic #2: Yaksha Yaksha are nature-spirits who take care of the trees, who are usually benevolent creatures. They are a nature fairy of sorts. There is a darker version of them, however, which is a ghost-like creature called Bhuta. These creatures haunt the wilderness. Additionally, there is Kubera, King of the Yakshas. I like this creature because of the many facets of them, they would be great sources for stories. I could focus on the ones that are like fairies as the protagonists and have the ones that are like ghosts as the antagonists of the stories, but I could also have stories with the point of view of the bhutas.


Where? Kalidasa's poem Meghaduta.


Topic #3: VetalaI came across another supernatural creature of interest, the Vetala. They are referred to as vampires and also as Goblins.  This is a ghost-like creature who inhabits a dead body (hence the tie to vampirism.) I like this creature as a source for stories because of the similarity to vampires, so I could easy make the stories about vampire!


Where? Here is a story featuring them.


Topic #4: Danavas and AsurasDanavas are interesting supernatural creatures as well. They can shape shift into different forms and use magic using the elements, like wind and fire. 


Where? Here is some information about the mythology of Danavas and Asuras.


Extra notes: Since the genre that I write in is Young Adult Fantasy (Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance) I will give all of these topics a YA spin to them. I will humanize whichever creature I use, but I will keep some elements from their mythology, to tie them into their sources. Right now I am a very much leaning towards the Rakshasa or the Yaksha!

No comments:

Post a Comment